July 19, 2008

The volunteers' experiences


To give you the motivation and desire to come and give a little time to San Nicolas Urraca's children, here are a few testimonies of previous volunteers.

Sarah (France) says:

When I volunteered for the first time at San Nicolas for one month, it was four years ago and it was probably one of the most amazing experience of my life. At the time, the association only had a small local with no electricity or bathroom. There was practically no equipment, very few games and the road was in construction. Regardless of the hard conditions more than twenty kids were showing up each day and we always spent a great time together. We would help them with their homeworks, sing songs, do games! The kids are so cute, so loveable and despite tough conditions at home they are always so happy and smiling.
Recently I visited San Nicolas again for two weeks and I was so amazed at how the association had grown and improved for the very best. The local is more than six times bigger then the old one, there are nice tables, light, a bathroom, games and even a radio! Luisa, the director of the association, along with Ana, a permanent volunteer, are really amazing women. They have been dedicating
their time and their heart to the project since its beginning and it is really paying off!

Elodie (France) says :

I have always been amazed by the kids’ capacity to love, hug, trust, forgive or even cheer up…in a sense the way they see "la vie en rose".
Here at San Nicolas Urraca, not only are the kids willing to learn but also to give: they are just looking for a way to enlighten their and your day. Volunteering in Peru, in San Nicolas Urraca, has been one of my greatest memories: it was both a cultural and human experience. You discover a new style of living, visit the Sacred Valley, get touched by the kindness of people and see the association grow thanks to your involvement.
So just come, by yourself or with friends, and give it a try!



Gaëlle & Olivier (France) say :

When we arrived in Peru, we did not have
a lot of experience with kids. Luisa, Anna and José warmly welcomed us and reassured us; they told us the story of the association, how it started and how it is evolving.
Kids were really looking forward to receiving a little help with their homework, playing or just catching the attention. No need to speak Spanish fluently, there is no cultural or linguistic barrier. Everyone can participate in the project according to his desire or abilities, budget. Some only choose to visit once but bring, for instance, a chocolate bar to each kid, which is always being received with great joy.Concerning us, we decided to buy school material and distribute it to the children who needed it the most. For people like us who are found of travelling and knowing the culture in depth, this experience has totally fulfilled our expectations.

Lila (USA) says :

Hi my name is Lila and I'm 10 years old. When I went to Peru me and my family did many things but one of my highlights was working at San Nicolas Urraca. The kids were so friendly and I really enjoyed working with them.
The minute I walked in the door kids came up to me and kissed my cheeks. Even a couple of them started asking me in Spanish if I wanted to jump rope with them. Of course I was thrilled and said yes right away. We also played jacks. I'm terrible at it and they're really good. I began to see that every day I became more like a friend to the kids then just a volunteer. I helped the little ones with puzzles and sometimes I just sat and talked with the older ones. When it was time to leave I was super sad. I really encourage anyone and everyone to volunteer at San Nicolas Urraca. It's absolutly wonderful.

No comments: